Monday, May 5, 2008

Every Day in May #3- Spring









Every time I walk up my sidewalk, I can't help but look at the flowers that are blooming like crazy in my front garden.

I am a habitual plant killer, as I tend to neglect them, but the flowers on the corner of my house get watered every day because I walk past them so often. They are lucky and I am lucky, I guess, because they are multiplying and growing bigger every day

I have a big, beautiful pot of Gerber daisies blooming wild shades of pink right now. I did my best to capture them before the bugs bit me alive outside. I had to paint from memory lest I end up being eaten up by the gnats and mosquitos- a Florida hazard.

This was done with Micron pen in my hand.book journal, and painted with watercolor paints (Winsor Newton, Daler-Rowney and Holbein mostly.) I like the hand.book journal pretty well for this project, but am a bit disappointed that it doesn't take washes better. The paper buckles quite a bit. Still looking for the utopian sketchbook... List your favorite journals and papers here, if you care to comment.

10 comments:

MaryO said...

Your pages are delightful, so fresh looking and colorful. The dancing shoes are an especial favorite...I've never been good with pen and ink drawings and this one is very nice.

Leslie said...

I really love this. You have a wonderful style! I love the flowers and the shoes. Beautiful.

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

These pages are just terrific...lovely color...so vibrant and alive

Anonymous said...

I luv the journal entries, great pages!!

Luba said...

Beautiful style! Feels like spring, too!

Sandy said...

Perfect sketch for springtime and Yes we should all be greatful for the spring bounty - as far as journals go - I am searching too. I liked the handbook but certainly NOT perfect. Great blog here.

Sharon said...

The colors in this are just luscious!

art addict said...

Thank you all so much for your comments! I am really loving this whole experience. I have a more somber spread to add to my Gratitude sketch journal today, but it has made me feel very grateful, so I hope I can do it justice. I really want to show the gratefulness for both the little and big things in my life.

Check back- I'll have it up later today!

Angie in AZ said...

This is gorgeous! And I love how you have the washes of pink running down the text page. Beautiful work! And get yourself some Burt's Bees insect repellent and get outside! However, I lived in the south most of my life and I remember well the bird size mosquitos so I really can't blame you for locking yourself in!
Oh, great theme for your EDinM challenge too.

Lisa Adams Reed said...

Love your sponateous and fun use of color! I am grateful for YOUR blog! Lisa